Scholarship General Selection Criteria
The Renaissance College Scholarship Programme Committee will select students for a Renaissance College Scholarship. General selection criteria will inform and guide all selection decisions. The general Scholarship Selection Criteria includes Personal Qualities, Application Requirements, and Knowledge of International Baccalaureate Programmes:
Selection Criteria: Personal Qualities
Renaissance College seeks applications from globally minded young people who:
- Possess skills necessary to conduct purposeful, constructive research
- Are able to make sound decisions and to solve complex problems
- Can receive and express ideas confidently in English
- Demonstrate a commitment to learning languages other than English
- Approach unfamiliar situations without anxiety
- Have acquired a critical mass of significant knowledge
- Have integrity, honesty, and a sense of fairness and justice
- Show sensitivity towards the needs of others through service to the community
- Respect the views, values and traditions of other individuals and cultures
- Give thoughtful consideration to their own learning
Selection Criteria: Application Requirements
- Are full-time students
- Demonstrate evidence of an outstanding academic record
- Are committed to extra-curricular and community service activities: participation in school and or community clubs and projects
- Demonstrate leadership either in their academic, extra-curricular activities, or community activities
Selection Criteria: Knowledge of International Baccalaureate Programmes
- Students should inform themselves about the International Baccalaureate Programme and its expectations.
In addition to satisfying general Scholarship Selection Criteria, the Committee will select students in accordance with the specific selection criteria for the Scholarship Types that the candidate has applied for.
Applicants and their families who believe that special consideration be given to an application due to specific circumstances or events not able to be communicated in other parts of the application should submit a letter marked CONFIDENTIAL and headed: “Special Consideration for (insert full name of applicant).” All requests for special consideration must be able to be supported and verified if necessary.
Receipt of other scholarships will not necessarily preclude students from consideration, but applicants are required to inform Renaissance College of any other scholarship or award which they hold.
Academic Scholarship applicants will initially be ranked according to academic merit on the outcome of scholarship selection test, effort and achievement results within the immediate twelve-month reporting period.
Supporting documents, referee reports, portfolios, and evidence of a case for special consideration will be taken into account in determining whether the applicant will be short-listed for interview.
For all other scholarships, applicants will initially be ranked according to a combination of audition performance, academic merit, and effort/ achievement results within the immediate twelve-month reporting period.
Supporting documents, referee reports, portfolios, and evidence of a case for special consideration will be taken into careful account in determining whether the applicant will be short-listed for interview.
Applicants are responsible for providing sufficient supporting documentation to support any claim for special consideration.
Offer Process and Notification
Students and their families will be advised in writing of the outcome of their applications.
For students who are unsuccessful, this will include an individual report on each applicant’s testing and interview outcomes.
Successful applicants will be advised in writing of the terms and conditions of the scholarship. At the time of accepting the offer they must accept the conditions of the scholarship and agree to provide relevant personal information to enable the college to assess eligibility.
The value of a Renaissance College Academic Scholarship or other Scholarship Types covers 100% tuition fees for an entire academic year, subject to a student’s continuing eligibility to hold the scholarship.
The Renaissance College Scholarship Programme does not provide financial assistance to students and their families for expenses extraneous to tuition fees. These include expenses such as:
- Stationery items
- School uniforms
- Field trips
- Lunch programme
- Miscellaneous Levy
Conditions of Scholarship
Students and their families will be advised in writing of the scholarship offer and the terms of the scholarship. Students must agree to accept the conditions of the scholarship and agree to provide personal information relevant to assessing their ongoing eligibility to the college on reasonable request. This information will remain confidential between the college scholarship administrator, the Head of the College, and the applicant and their family.